Leading change is a very difficult task. In Chapter 11 of Onward, Elena Aguilar share some strategies for mitigating fear and helping change beliefs while acknowledging that how to get people to change their minds and consider different practices is beyond the scope of Onward. She does offer this:
- Create opportunities for teachers to reflect on why they do what they do.
- Humanize the need for change.
- Set up structures for listening.
- Talk about and normalize emotions, especially fear.
- Collectively envision new realities.